Friday, November 15, 2013

Too Old To Get A Job?

There's a reason I haven't been around here lately.

So, remember when I came rushing home from the campout, smelling like campfire, getting home just in time for a job interview?  (Don't try this at home kids.  Arriving at an interview with just enough time to get out of hillbilly mode isn't smart!). 

The interview seemed to go well.  But it was a very sought after position and I knew my chances weren't good since I would be a hire from outside the agency.  Still . . . I hoped.  It was half-time, which I really wanted.

And then there was another interview.  It was one of those weird interviews where you think that one of the people on the interview panel really likes your answers--and another person doesn't.  Or maybe they do but you just can't tell?  One of those interviews where you question your answers for days?

"Tell me about the worst mistake you've made in your life and what you learned from it?"  "Tell me about a time you had conflict in the work place and how you handled it?"  "Tell me about a time you faced an ethical dilemma and how you worked through it?" 

"Tell me about how often you change your underwear and why?"  Ha!

And then . . . I didn't hear about either position for weeks.  I was tormented waiting and wondering.  One was a half-time position but the downside for me was that I wouldn't have long-term relationships with clients.  The other one was full-time and seemed God ordained with some of the circumstances surrounding the application, plus I would be working in an office I was already familiar with and with co-workers I loved.  BUT, as I said, it was full time.  I wasn't sure I could swing fulltime--and most importantly I wasn't sure my kids could.  But I loved the complexity of the position and the fact I would have a long-term relationship with the kids I would be working with. 

I decided I would accept whichever job was offered first. 

Weeks went by.  No word.  I waffled back and forth between trying to trust God and just wanting to have an answer.  Now!  One night I just cried my eyes out saying I had probably been terrible in the interviews and I was probably just too old to get a job!!!!  Nobody would hire me at my advanced age!

And then . . . I got a phone call.  The half-time position!  Very near my home with flexible hours and working in the world of child welfare/adoption.  Wow!  And while I wouldn't have long-term relationships with kids on my caseload, a friend so aptly reminded me that half-time would mean I WOULD get to have more time for long-term relationships with my own children.  TRUE!!

And so, I'm officially putting my MSW to use!  I love it!  I have a great jobshare partner, a supervisor who is flexible and family oriented and . . . get this . . . I can ride my bike to work!



I work while my kids are in school.  I love the work I am doing!  It matches up with my skill set extremely well and every day is different!  I feel so blessed to be able to serve children and families in my community, while still having the majority of my time for my own family.  I know full well that many women do not get this choice, and I do not take that lightly. 

And for the record, a few days after I accepted the job, I was offered the other position.  I guess I'm not too old after all!

It's been one of the hardest years of my life, but my new job has been a high point.  And for that, I am very thankful.  Cheers to all of you for your encouragement and support these past few years as I finished my masters and applied for positions.  We really need to have that party!  Coffee's on me! 

4 comments:

Sally-Girl! said...

Congratulations to you!!! I am so happy for you!!!

kathy said...

Fabulous!So happy for you and your job search. I myself am contemplating exiting the job force! I have done enough!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your job. Sounds great especially with your personal experience. Yay pink bike. :)

Erika

One Thankful Mom said...

That is such happy news. Congratulations!!