Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ten Years Old

The authentic self is soul made visible. 
   ~Sarah Ban Brethnach
 
I once read that after the age of ten, girls start to lose their authentic selves.  It's true.  We become self-conscious and start turning away from who we really are.  Before the age of ten we are free to dream wild, crazy dreams; we know what we want and how we feel. 

And then, somewhere along the way, most of us are trying so hard to become who we aren't that we forget who we are. 

As adults, we can often look back at our ten-year-old-selves to know our true life calling, simply by asking ourselves the question of what we loved when we were young.

I love the photo above because I'm still so ME.  Even though my hair is crazy and my freakles are crazier, I love myself.  I remember calling that dress my "Hollywood," because I felt like a movie star wearing it.  I loved babies, and riding horses, and going to my grandparent's ranch.  I loved walking with a friend to the store for ten cent candy, building forts in the basement with my cousins, and going to the Pendleton Round-Up.  Family.  Friends.  Faith.  Freedom.  We didn't have a lot of money, but life was simple--free.  I didn't care about what I looked like, I cared about looking for life.

And then the teenage years came and self-consciousness with it.   And more years of wondering who I was, and where I was going.

And I don't know when I realized it, but I kinda feel like that ten-year-old again.

It's a gift that comes with age--a chiseling back to my true self.

 "My business is not to remake myself, But make the absolute best of what God made."  ~ Robert Browning. 

5 comments:

Kathy C. said...

Good thoughts. Cool looking family :)

amber said...

Love this post! I couldn't agree more and believe that being true to ourselves and helping our children be their true authentic selves is the great challenge in life. Seems like it would be easy, but society and self cause pressure that makes it feel like you are swimming upstream at times. Great post!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. You were a really cute and smart 10 year old,and now you are a beautiful middle-aged women. You are beautiful inside and out. I love you so much. You care so much for everybody. Mom

kathy said...

Oh yeah. totally reflecting my young youth. I was always hunting and building forts. Played with Barbies. Very creative. As an adult not cute, thin or smart enough for a real job. And so darn zonked from my job that I fail to be the real me.
Going to seriously reflect, need to turn it all around!

Sammy said...

Love the post. So true!