Saturday, March 15, 2014

Thankful for the Kindness of Others

I am so thankful for the kindness of others.

Last weekend Patrick had a basketball tournament at the beach.  We had planned to make it a family affair and stay overnight, but a few days before, Hubby became really sick with an unknown illness (he even spent the night in the hospital!).  It was a crazy, stressful few days.  It deserves its own post, but I was reminded how fast life can change and how much I love my husband! 

When the weekend arrived, Hubby was feeling better, but I still worried about leaving him.  Patrick really wanted to go to his tournament, so I decided I would drive some of the kids up, just for the day. 



When we got to the coast it was sooo stormy--high winds that made the pouring rain come down sideways!  I thought between games we might enjoy the beach, but this was as close as we came. 


Instead, we went to the carousel.


And the hat store.  I told them they could try on hats, but we would not buy any. 



And as you can see, when we got back in the car not a single person had talked me into buying a hat (and don't let Patrick's glum face fool you--he got a new sweatshirt)!


Once the second game was over it was getting dark.  We went through drive-through and started home.  It was storming.  S-T-O-R-M-I-N-G!  Torrents of rain.

Now you have to remember.  I know rain.  I live rain.  I drive in rain year 'round.  I am a drowned rat!  But this was different.  This was coming down harder than I've ever seen and there was so much flooding on the country roads I worried about hydroplaning or getting stuck.  Wind was shaking the car and branches were coming off the trees.  I was worried.  Quite frankly, I was so scared my legs were shaking. 

And you know that little voice that exists in your head when there is danger?  Uh-huh?  Well, I was hearing it.  It was saying, "Turn around!  Turn around!  This is not safe!"  And I was arguing back, "I'm used to driving in rain.  It's fine.  It'll probably get better up ahead."  I knew it wasn't safe.

I did know that a friend of my husband's had offered us his beach house.  If I turned around we could sleep there.  But I didn't want to use it!  I mean, I don't even know the guy that well and Hubby wasn't even with me.  And I wanted to get home.  We all wanted to get home.  I was still worried about Hubby.  We couldn't turn around and go back.  We didn't even have any extra clothes or anything we would need to spend the night!

But that feeling of foreboding grew . . .  along with my shaking legs.  The storm grew in fierce gusts!   And about 20 minutes into our drive I found a dark, lonely driveway, turned around, and headed back.

We stopped at a drug store and picked up all the essentials--snacks, toothbrushes, and mascara (yes, mascara is an essential!).  Hubby assured me he was feeling fine and texted me the address.  It was with great relief that we walked in the front door of the beach rental, turned on the heat, and made ourselves at home.  We made microwave popcorn and watched Mrs. Doubtfire before covering up with spare blankets and catching some sleep fully clothed. 

I thought about how kind it had been for my husband's friend to offer us his vacation home.  I know I am not so generous as to offer my home so easily, so casually, to others. 

The next day was sunny and beautiful. 

Do these clothes look like they were slept in?
Patrick played two more games and then we headed home noting all the downed trees--including giants that had to be cleared from the road.

It made me pause and think about how our friend's kindness may very well have saved our lives that cold, dark night. 

And I am truly thankful. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad your husband is fine and that you heeded your inner voice and stayed safe. Your husbands friend was very kind but I am sure that is also a reflection of the kindness of your entire family. Kindness attracts kindness!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

WOW! Thankful for the kindness of others, and that you are safe!!

kathy said...

Glad to hear Husband is better. I would have found a place to park the car and stay in it for the night!

DFNY said...

I'm reading this in mid-May but just wanted to say what a relief it was to know that you heeded that inner voice and that you had somewhere safe to go. You are indeed blessed. Have loved reading your blog but have away a while. All the best to you and your family.

Damaris